The genetic research project involving two widely cultivated crops in Papua New Guinea and Solomon Islands - aibika (Pacific or slippery cabbage, Abelmoschus manihot) and sweet potato (Ipomoea batatas) - achieved the following:
- Research protocols for mutation breeding.
- Mutation breeding protocols for aibika seed and sweet potato cuttings, and putative mutants assessed for tolerance to abiotic stresses.
- New salinity-tolerant aibika and potentially frost-tolerant sweet potato genotypes identified.
- Increased laboratory and research capacity to conduct mutation breeding and basic DNA fingerprinting of sweet potato.
- Sweet potato and aibika germplasm collections.
- A herbarium to catalogue germplasm from aibika, sweet potato and other crops.